Saturday, March 17, 2007

Beard Envy

I knew India was going to be a wild place when the pilot on our flight from Bangkok to New Dehli stated that the time change was 1 hour and 30 minutes...huh!!?? How does that work?? Don't ask me, even crazier is that I think Nepal is another 15 minutes off!! I think they're all just trying to mess with each other. Beats me.

We hadn't seen much facial hair throughout Southeast Asia...asians simply don't grow it well. So I knew we were in a completely different part of the world when we disembarked in New Dehli. I instantly had beard envy. They certainly know how to grow them here! They start at such a young age that by the time they get to be my age or older the beards are so long than many can twist them and wrap them up into their turbans. Mighty impressive!

Overall our impressions of India have been overshadowed by the strong stench of urine in every street we walk through. We haven't gotten over that yet. A lot of the cities we've been to remind of how I picture the middle ages were. Small stores lining the narrow streets with all sorts of people walking through and various farm animals lurking around every corner. It has been interesting to say the least.

That's all for now, we'll try to keep you posted more often.

No comments: